Sunday, December 16, 2007

Favorite Movies

In creating a profile, I'm often faced with filling out the 'My Favorite Movies' section. As someone who takes movies probably a little too seriously (the Academy Awards is my Super Bowl), I find this to be a very difficult task. After all, there are genres to consider and how to narrow it down? Committing to a list of 'the best' sucks, as many quality films have to be left off. 

I think the kinds of movies you most identify with says something about who you are as a human being. I struggle hard not to scream and run away when someone tells me they thought 'Forrest Gump' sucked (Were they even AWAKE during the movie?). I scratch my head in wonder when people tell me just how great 'Shrek' was and how the kids just love it (Am I the only one that loathed 'Shrek'? Am I the only one that would rather have my kids watch 'The Godfather' than 'Shrek'?). I try to keep my lunch down when someone tells me just how wonderful and dreamy 'Titanic' was (I was the one in the audience rooting for DiCaprio to go down one final time AND STAY DOWN!). Creating a list of favorite movies makes one vulnerable - like baring your soul to the world. That's disconcerting.

But I'm going to give this a shot. I'm going to be a man and put it out there for the world to see. Let the chips fall where they may. Keep in mind that this list is not some critical analysis of movies that changed the world or the industry. There are many movies not on this list that were great ('Blazing Saddles', 'Dr. Strangelove', 'Some Like it Hot' as examples). These are simply movies that left me rolling. So, to begin, I give you... 

Frog's 10 Comedies to take to the Desert Island

1. Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
When I saw this movie in August of 1983, I was in Charleroi, Belgium. It was the second day of a year-long exchange and I was just getting to know my host family. They thought it would be a great idea to take me to the movies and selected 'Le Sens de la Vie'. I had no clue what I was in for - nor did my host family.

I spent most of the film laughing so hard I was crying and falling (literally) out of my chair. From birth to death, this movie struck a cord with me and therefore takes the #1 spot on my comedy list.

2. Hopscotch
This 1980 spy-game comedy by director Ronald Neame never fails to put a smile on my face. Walter Matthau is amazing as CIA man Miles Kendig, Glenda Jackson as his ex-lover is sexy and sophisticated, and Ned Beatty is a riot as the hyper-intense Myerson. I love this movie.

3. The Pink Panther Strikes Again
The fourth Pink Panther movie (1976) is over-the-top crazy insane. The fight between Clouseau and Cato (played by Burt Kwouk) is worth the price of admission. Herbert Lom as the deranged former Chief Inspector is hilarious. Even if you find the movie stupid, it's worth your time just to gaze upon the sizzling hot Lesley-Anne Down. Oh to be that fur.

4. Ace Ventura Pet Detective
Make sure you watch the 1994 Ace, and not the horrible sequel. Jim Carrey was brilliant. The scene in the shower with 'The Crying Game' playing in the background is classic.

5. So I Married an Axe Murderer
Hey World, forget about Austin Powers (the first one, which was great, don't get me wrong). The 1993 'So I Married...' (directed by Thomas Schlamme and written by Robbie Fox) is far better and funnier. Mike Myers is fantastic, but it is the supporting cast that nailed it for me: Anthony LaPaglia, Nancy Travis, Brenda Fricker, Charles Grodin (why do we not see more of this guy???), Alan Arkin, Steven Wright and Phil Hartman. Phil Hartman as 'Vicki' the Park Ranger is classic.

6. Office Space
For anyone who has worked for a moronic boss or spent time in cubicle hell, do yourself a favor and see this movie. Director Mike Judge (check out 'Idiocracy' as well - it nearly made this list) has a great cast and nails corporate life. The scene in the field with the fax machine - priceless.

7. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
With the exception of Randy Quaid's 'Bingo' line, this is a perfect movie. It is funny from start to finish and never fails to please. Why did Randy Quaid not get Oscar consideration? 

8. Harry and the Hendersons
Although this William Dear movie came out in 1987, I didn't actually see it until just this year. When I did, I laughed my ass off. It's sweet, it's outrageous, it's smart and it's very, very funny. Best of all, it's a movie that will appeal to people of all ages. John Lithgow is a comic genius. Kevin Peter Hall does an amazing job as Bigfoot. 

9. Tommy Boy
RIP Chris Farley, and thanks for the laughs. This movie made it on my list for so many reasons, among them the deer in the car scene. As someone who worked in sales, this movie is especially meaningful to me. I'm not normally a David Spade fan, but I liked him here. 

10. Support Your Local Sheriff
Here's another comedy you can watch with people of all ages. And while it's not a roll-in-the-aisles comedy, it is one of my favorite comedies. It has a first-rate cast: James Garner, Harry Morgan, Bruce Dern (awesome), the lovely Suzanne Pleshette, and on and on. It's the little things - the jail cell, the banter, the finger in the barrel... Love it.

So there you have it. My top ten comedies. Of course, I'm leaving off so many that almost made the list: Ghostbusters, Groundhog Day, She's Having a Baby, Ferris Bueller, Wedding Crashers, Old School, Dinner Game, Major Payne, Major League, Sandlot, Jonah, And God Spoke, Zero Effect, Scrooged, Happy Gilmore, Meet the Deedles, Animal House, Foul Play, Airplane!, 40 Year Old Virgin, ... and on and on. Stay tuned for other genres.

No comments: